Sunday, September 12, 2010

Toes in the Atlantic

This weekend was one of those "let's escape" kind of weekends. I was anxious to see the ocean, and a fellow seminarian was having a house warming party, so we decided to crash the party and play on the beach. (Ok, one of us was invited and the rest of us were more than welcome, just so I don't make them sound inhospitable.)

First of all, I'd like to find out how I can get appointed to a church that quite literally sits on the beach. It was a beautiful church, a lovely little parsonage, and the view was spectacular. We didn't get there until after dark, but it was amazing to stroll along the ocean when the sun is down.  It also amazes me how close everything on the east coast was.  We had a great view of New York City and the lights they shine from the Twin Tower site around the anniversary of 9/11.  The lights hit against the top of the cloud cover and created a powerful beacon. I'm stealing a picture that Jeff took to show off how amazing it really was:

 I couldn't believe how warm the water was!  I have spent too much time at the Oregon coast, apparently.  I was excited to splash and play, even if I was wearing jeans and got soaking wet.  



Our hosts had made delicious Mexican food, we played games, and just generally had time to unwind from the slightly overwhelming first few weeks of school.  It was a very generous gift they offered us!

I always forget how spiritually centering the water is for me.  It's a place where I feel renewed.  Maybe that's the reason I keep choosing to live in cities than are only an hour from the ocean.  Nothing reminds me of God's power and constant grace than the steady but strong pull of the tide. I'm thankful for the opportunities to be filled up again.

1 comment:

  1. Janessa,
    Wonderful pictures and stories! I am new to this "blog" stuff since early this year when Jessica went to Africa. I truly appreciate the technology and the way I can keep updated on those I care about. You are one of those as a friend from Hillview. Maybe when you had your feet in the Atlantic you could feel Jessica over in Ghana! She's teaching English and French to students there and will be home at Christmas to finish her final semester at Lewis & Clark in Portland. We can't wait to see her! I'm sure your mom knows how that feels!! Be well, have fun and hope to see you soon.
    Pam Lodal

    ReplyDelete