Thursday, September 30, 2010

Father John Dear

I have been so neglectful.  But I've been working very hard, and I know everyone prefers I focus on classwork.  In addition to my classes (Church History, Hebrew Bible, Exegetical Skills and Pastoral Formation), I am working two jobs. One is at the Alumni Office and one is supervising the Annual Fund student callers.  So yes, busy is a good word for me life right now.  But also joyful, inspired, exhausting and amazing.

I'm constantly amazed by the opportunities we have on campus.  Monday night, I had the privilege of listening to a lecture given by Father John Dear.  Father John Dear is... amazing.  He is a Jesuit priest who actively preaches the gospel of non-violence.  He has been arrested, thrown in jail (once for 8 months for pounding on a bomber plane with a hammer.  He was modeling how to turn swords into plowshares), but continues to do the hard work of peace.  Read his book "A Persistent Peace" or at least Google him.  He spoke about his own work, but he was there for the Henry Nouwen lecture series.   Henri Nouwen was an amazing spiritual leader who has many many books that you all should read.  Father John's main text was 10 Lessons from Nouwen on spirituality and peacemaking.  So I am going to write it all up for you to read right now, along with some of my favorite quotes.



Father John quotes:
"Social change occurs when good people break bad laws."
"If I'm not living on the prophetic edge, I'm taking up too much room."
"You must see life as a journey in, to, and with the God of Peace."

And the 10 lessons (in a very nutshell form.)
  1.  Peacemaking starts with prayer - "The peace we seek is not of this world.  Let Jesus disarm your heart, give him the roots of war in each one of us.  We must connect to God, to Jesus.  Only those who know they are loved and rejoice in that love can be peacemakers.
  2. Peace requires active resistance to war and violence.  You have to say it.  Out loud.  Often.
  3. Peacemaking builds, comes from, restores, creates community
  4. Peacemaking requires serving the poor and marginalized
  5. Peacemaking mean accepting weakness, vulnerability, and powerlessness- "where is peace to be found? The answer is surprising but true.  In our weakness" (Nouwen)
  6. Peacemaking requires nonviolence.  Peace comes from peace. "Nonviolence begins in the heart with the spiritual vision that we are all one." (Nouwen)
  7. Peacemaking demands racial justice
  8. Peacemaking makes connections to every part of life.  Everything/one has value.
  9. Peacemaking comes from and leads to gratitude. "When the sounds of gratitude are heard, the sounds of war are silenced." 
  10. Christian peacemakers follow the nonviolent Jesus. "The last command Jesus gave to his disciples was 'put down the sword.'"
I met him after the lecture as he took a few moments to talk to everyone in line.  I told him about meeting the Archbishop Tutu and how transformational that was. (He said he was calling the Archbishop soon and would let him know that.)  Then he asked about my call to ministry and encouraged me to follow it.  He was equally peaceful and energizing and I just wanted to sit and talk to him for hours.  I'm quite sure that everyone feels that way.
    I have many thoughts about his lecture, but they most simply amount to a resounding "yes."  These ideas are "radical" and challenging and incredibly convicting. I know that I'm called to prophetic ministry.  That's very clear to... everybody... I think.  And listening to Father John is a reminder of what it takes to radically and faithfully follow God's call to be an activist, a lover of humans, and a truth-speaker.  It is terrifying.  As much as I wanted to follow him out the door and on to his next demonstration, march, or act of service, I also know I'm totally unprepared.  So that's why I'm here.  To learn to be a leader, to have the strength of education, and to learn from the brilliant people around me.  It is invigorating to have the reminders of why I'm here reading about Socrates and long-dead martyrs.

    I've had some fantastic church experiences the last few Sundays, and I truly want to write about them, but I want to finish my reading for class tomorrow even more.  I'll end with a video that was a promo for Father John's latest book. 

    1 comment:

    1. Okay, hammering away on a bomber plane is just inspired. This sounds like it was really an amazing presentation.

      ReplyDelete