Friday, June 24, 2011

A Witness

As part of the day-camp I led, we visited Rhodes College to learn about their work perserving the oral histories of civil rights leaders in Memphis. We watched the interview with Rev. Billy Kyles, one of the three people in the hotel room with Rev. Dr. King just before his assassination, and the only living witness. He says so many incredible things, but this quote has stayed in my heart since then:

I often wondered why I was there at that moment. But I've come to realize that every crucifixion needs a witness... And they said, “We will shoot this dreamer and see what happens
to his dream." That's where the witness comes in. The witness will
tell all who will listen, "Yes, you can kill the dreamer, but no, you
absolutely cannot kill the dream.”


More soon, I promise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment