Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Walking in Memphis (Grocery Stores)

That's the last time probably that I'll use that song. Maybe.

We talked in our Shalom internship training about the the ways to examine your community, and my mom reminded me of one when she asked about grocery prices in Memphis. Now, I have to admit that I don't really watch grocery prices in Madison because there aren't a lot of options and I already know I'm paying way more than I would back home. So I can't really talk price comparisons. I do know that I spent more at Krogers (same as Fred Meyer grocery for my west coast friends) than I do at Trader Joes. I also went to Whole Foods and they are the same amount of overpriced everywhere. But they had coconut water and that's what matters. However, I did notice a big difference in selection.

A friend of mine at school observed that Madison grocery stores were clearly upscale because they had a really small. Top Ramen selection. In Memphis, they had a lot of Ramen. They also have a lot of processed and canned meat and not a lot of things like frozen or fresh fish. Kettle chips and rice cakes were in the separate "health food" section, rather than regular snack foods like I'm used to. None of it was major, but overall I felt like healthier options were just a bit harder to find. I started to see where the idea that healthy eating is more expensive: if the options aren't at Krogers, you would have to go to really expensive places like Whole Foods. When the processed food is more obvious in the stores and therefore more familiar to cook with, it takes deliberate education to learn healthier eating habits.

Also, they have a LOT of BBQ sauce options.

No comments:

Post a Comment