Monday, November 29, 2010

And now, nothing but fun

I have had some incredible learning opportunities this semester.  I'm kind of amazed by all the experiences and I'm incredibly excited by all the things that are coming.  But, just in case you were all worried that I was too serious, I thought I'd post about all the mindless fun I've been having as well.  There are  a lot of pictures in this post.  Just a warning!




I've met some great people here, which isn't surprising but is still super exciting.  We have movie nights and potlucks and they throw me awesome birthday parties and it's generally incredible.  Occasionally we go on adventures that take us away from campus, so I thought I'd post about those. 

October 11-16 was our mid-semester break/reading days.  It is the time when we catch up on reading and get ready for midterms.  Or, if you are me, you go to New York for the weekend.  I hung around, ate good food, and went to the Met with Billy and his girlfriend.  I stared at Degas and Monet and Picasso and Pollock and Warhol and ancient art and it was fantastic.  Let me show you, kind of:
Degas paintings of ballerinas.  I love them.


Later that week, Claire, Jestie, and I drove up to Ithaca, NY.  Claire and I wanted to see the leaves change like the good little tourists we are, we wanted to pick apples, and I wanted to drink cider and eat cider doughnuts like they have at the apple farms back home.  Good news:  all our goals were accomplished.   We hiked by a water fall.  We witnessed engagement photos, a wedding rehearsal, a wedding, and a wedding reception.  We climbed apple trees.  (Ok, I climbed apple trees and then found out it was against the rules) and picked apples and pears and drank delicious cider and inhaled fresh doughnuts.  It was a fantastic break.  Let me show you:
I don't know the name of these falls. But they were gorgeous

Pretty view!  This is where I worshiped that Sunday morning.

Jestie, Claire, and me at the waterfall overlook


I love fall leaves


These stairs were steep and tall, but very picturesque
Jestie and me swinging at the apple farm.
Look! I'm using a ladder!  I absolutely never climbed a tree without one.

Then, we returned to school and worked very very hard until Thanksgiving break.  (That's actually a lie.  I worked very hard, but had plenty of fun little diversions as well.)  Claire, Boram, and I decided that since we were so close we absolutely must attend the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Claire's brother was in town, so it was a good opportunity to be sight-seers.  So we got up really early and stood in the cold to watch the most famous parade in America.  It was pretty fantastic.  Let me show you:
Boram, Clint, Claire and me!  We are cold, but we are EXCITED!

Snoopy was the first balloon.  As it should be.


The entire cast of Sesame Street!  It's amazing that it's so many of the people that I watched as a kid.  100 years ago.

Santa was perfect.  He was happy and energetic and a total joy to watch.



After the parade, we all went home and took naps.  I had people over the next day for Thanksgiving the Day After, and we feasted on delicious food.  It was fantastic.  But I don't have pictures so you'll just have to believe me.

Somewhere in there, I turned 28, which is weird, but I'm trying not to dwell on all that.

And now it's time to get back to the work.  I need to get it done so I can head up to NYC next week and see the Christmas tree and ice skate.  I lead a rough life...

No comments:

Post a Comment