Sunday, August 29, 2010

Church of the Redeemer


I went to church with my roommate, Julie, Linzi, who is a first year Masters student from California, and Claire, an MA in Ministry first year from North Carolina. We went to the church Julie has been attending, Church of the Redeemer Episcopal. They are in Morristown, which is just a few minutes' drive from Drew. They were very deliberate about using inclusive language and very much identifies as a welcoming and accepting community. The church itself was beautiful. It was built in the 1850's, and it's amazing to worhip somewhere with that much history. I am really not used to Episcopal liturgy, but there is something very holy within the formal structure. This church does have grape juice available, and I was grateful for that because I don't think I've ever taken wine at communion. It was a lovely service and the people could not have been any nice.

I was very taken with one practice there. During communion, people bring up canned goods that go to a local food pantry. I loved the idea of tying communion with outreach in that way.

Next week we are venturing to another church. I think we are actually going to another Episcopal Church, this time the one that is literally in my back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment