Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Statement of Call

I had to create an official statement of call for my "'file." I thought it would be good to shart it here, give a little more insight into why I feel called to ministry. Here it is:

I grew up in the Methodist church, and I attribute my strongly rooted faith to the community that surrounded me and helped guide my path. I was very active in our local youth program and I also served on District Youth Ministries Council. I always felt called to lead and to create strong communities around me. I fell away from my involvement while in college, and I deeply felt the loss of my foundation. I wasn’t sure where my place in the church was, but I knew that God was calling me back. While working as the Director of Youth Ministries for Caldwell United Methodist Church, I first began to recognize and acknowledge my call to ministry. Through my work with the youth, I’ve grown more deeply in faith and have realized that God is calling me to serve others through ordained ministry.

And a little excerpt from my graduate school admission essay:

Within a week of settling back home, I was called by three people about a youth leadership position at Caldwell United Methodist. I got the impression that God was done softly calling for my attention, he was yelling. My passion for God and for seeing Christ work in others’ lives was re-ignited. I fell in love with the ministry, but still didn’t feel at home in the church. It was not a church that was there for me or my peers.
In the past year, I have finally allowed myself to realize I am being called to ministry. There are young people desperately searching for a church that speaks to them, that brings truth and faith back into their lives, and there are churches that want to reach out to the next generation of Christians but don’t know how to bridge that gap. The Methodist Church is so afraid of change that it is stifling the work of the Spirit. It is maintaining discriminatory practices while boldly claiming “Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors.” Church leaders officially vote on strong social issues, but those issues are not discussed in local congregations. I am called to ministry in the church, but not the church as it stands now. I am called to be part of a movement of young Christians who know that our church can be better. I am called to help inspire those who have lost the spark of Christ after 20 years of church meetings and endless petty debates. All of us suffer when a strong community is lost. We become stale and settled and safe. Christ never calls us to be just safe, so I want to reawaken the curious, tenacious questioner in all of them


1 comment:

  1. Hey love-Funny how searching for statement call to ministry examples yours was the third link down. Love you bunches :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete